June 21, 2005

Miscellaneous Update!!!

Wow, I haven’t updated this in a while, so let me just cover some topics:

- Batman Begins is finally out and I’ve heard nothing but good things. Unfortunately, I have not been able to pay a visit to my local multiplex because I’ve been in the process of moving into a new apartment, but you can bet your ass I’m gonna watch it as soon as I can. Now, after the abysmal Batman & Robin (and by abysmal I mean "one of the absolute biggest pieces of craptacular shit ever put on celluloid") it seemed all hope was lost for the Batman franchise and the series was in the gutter. But throw in Christopher Nolan (of Memento fame) and a truly amazing cast, and there just might be hope for a rejuvenated take on the Dark Night.

- Finally saw Episode III. I went in with my expectations 200ft below sea level and I came away pleasantly surprised. Yes, the dialogue is awful at times and the acting is a bit weak (probably just due to the abysmal dialogue. Poor actors can’t work miracles). But the movie delivered where it needed. The special effects were so mind-bogglingly amazing that they actually helped me enjoy the movie this time, instead of distracting me and making me realize just how superficial and shallow the Star Wars movies have become (like they did in the two previous prequels).

Ok, possible spoilers ahead.

I gotta say though, I felt that the scene with Darth Vader breaking out of his restraints and screaming "Noooooo!!!!" was way overdone and came off as comical instead of dramatic. Maybe it was the fact that he looked like Frankenstein.

But the last couple of scenes were a joy to watch, especially for long time Star Wars fans. The two universes (prequels and originals) finally meld together and we see some familiar ships, costumes and musical themes . . . that was pretty damn cool.

- Also, as I mentioned above, I just finished moving into a new apartment and I’m exhausted. Of course, as luck would have it, the elevator of the building is broken, so everything - and I mean EVERYTHING - had to be carried up three flights of stairs. Believe me when I tell you that was not fun.

On a lighter note, I’ve also received my new TV (which also had to be carried up three flights of stairs). Luckily, there were six of us to help out, because that puppy weighs 200lbs. But it’s a beaut!!

No comments: