April 07, 2007

GRAW II minor issues

I have a two minor issues with GRAW 2 that I want to get off my chest. I had them with the first one too and I was hoping they would have been addressed for the sequel. These are minor gripes that don't affect gameplay, but I am anal and they bother me enough to single them out with a post.

First up, I can't believe that Ubisoft still has not fixed the fact that your character does not really reload his gun. Sure, he goes through the animation of removing a clip and placing a new one, except no clip exchange is ever made. I know, who cares right? Well, I f'ing care! This is supposed to be the "next generation". GRAW 2 is a gorgeous game. Your character model is huge and very, very detailed. When you go up against cover you have a great, close-up view of him, and he looks great. It is because of all those facts that this "small" problem is actually pretty big. Talk about killing the mood and making you remember you are just playing a game. It is actually comical to watch your character reload while in cover and seeing him just pretend to remove and place a clip. C'mon Ubisoft, it cannot be that difficult to do. Does it affect gameplay? No? Does it hinder my enjoyment of the game? Believe it or not, yes. Not enough for me to knock an entire point of its score mind you, but any aspect of a game that jars me from the game world so abruptly is definitely a negative.

Also, I still get the feeling that my character is sliding all over the ground when walking. The only time I actually "feel" like he is taking actual steps is when he is at a full sprint and the camera pulls back a bit and it begins to shake some. Other than that, I get the impression that my character is just sliding across the floor on skates. Don't like it.

Note, both these gripes are with the single-player game.

That's it. See how anal I am?

No comments: