May 11, 2007

King Kong (360)

In my continuing saga to be real late to the party, I am currently playing King Kong on the 360. Ok, I'm actually playing God of War 2, but I took a break from it last night to try out King Kong. This was one of those launch games that I was interested in playing (the demo was cool) but I didn't feel warranted a purchase. Especially at $59.99.

I found the game online for $14.99, new, so I went ahead and snatched it up. I received it in the mail a couple days ago and I took a short break from GoW 2 to try it out.

From the demo (which I played when I first got my 360), I thought the game looked very polished and I was impressed with the graphics. Now? Not so much. Even after playing GoW 2 for two days (a last gen game), jumping to King Kong on the 360 failed to impress me. I was glad to be playing something in true HD again, but overall I am way more impressed with GoW 2 visually on last gen technology than King Kong running on a 360. The character models and details are all clearly from a game designed for the regular Xbox and the PS2. Shame.

The gameplay so far is at least intriguing. It plays more like a 1st person adventure game than a straight up FPS. I'm enjoying the completely HUD-less display too and I think it works very well. Even aiming your weapon with no targeting reticle is intuitive.

After 20 minutes though, I turned the game off and continued GoW 2. I do not know if that says something about King Kong or GoW. I'm thinking the latter, since I'm just really into GoW right now. King Kong looks like it will at least be worth the $15 and I look forward to the time when I can give it my full attention. Which unfortunately won't be until Kratos' story comes to an end . . .

No comments: