January 31, 2008

CoD4 and Beethoven

On Tuesday night I had my best match ever in CoD4.  I had 26 kills, only 2 deaths, and a 23 kill streak.
 
Here is the kicker: I was playing the game with no volume and blasting Beethoven in the background.
 
So I had my best match ever while playing deaf basically.  I could not hear where gunfire was coming from.  I could not hear if someone was sneaking up behind me.  Yet I was dominating.  Why?
 
I even started the match 3-2.  I was tense at the beginning, expecting to get shot from behind at any moment.  Then I just went in the "zone".  The music was kicking and my focus on the match went up tremendously.  I was using the radar as my ears.  I was planning ahead.  Because I did not have the benefit of hearing, I was forced to focus and use all my other tools.  And the results speak for themselves.
 
Every match I played like this I did well in.  None came close to that first 26-2 match, but I had a kill/death ration above 3/1 in all of them (which is a lot better than I normally do, I'm usually at 1.5/1).
 
I am tempted to try this experiment again with some Pantera to see what the results are.  But I actually think it was Beethoven's compositions that put me at ease and let me achieve the zen-like state I was in.  Pantera will just get my adrenaline flowing.
 

No comments: