January 23, 2008

The price of ignorance

Ok, a few days ago Fox News aired a "debate" about the sexual content in Mass Effect.  Those that have played the game and experienced the optional "sex scene" knows that it is barely PG-13 material.  They also know that this scene takes up about 30 seconds of a game that took me 40 hours to complete.  So I'd say the percentage of "sex" in this game is pretty insignificant.  But that does not stop so called "experts" (who clearly have never seen, played, or read anything on Mass Effect) to come out and spew lies and misinformation.  Please see the following clip (thank you joystiq)
 
 
Infuriating right?  I know I wanted to reach out into my monitor and slap these ignorant people upside their heads.
 
But, never underestimate an angry mob of gamers.  It seems that gamers - infuriated with Ms. Lawrence's clear lack of research on a subject she decided to go on national tv to bash - have decided to return the favor by "reviewing" her book on Amazon.com.  See the link:
 
 
Now, I wish no ill will towards Ms. Lawrence, but this seems sort of poetic.  She bashes a product on national tv in front of millions.  A product in which she clearly did zero research on.  She had all her facts wrong and was making pretty ridiculous claims on the content of the game, so forgive me if I can't muster up any sympathy for gamers doing the same to her book.
 
Childish on gamers' part?  Probably.  Funny?  Absolutely.
 
Bravo gamers.
 

No comments: