July 07, 2008

Weekend notes

Had a great three day weekend.  On Friday Jeanette and I went over to my sister's house to hang out and light some fire works. The weather was crappy but that didn't stop us from having a good time.  Beer and fireworks are a great combination (although a possibly dangerous one.  lol.)
 
On Saturday we went out to eat at Michael's Genuine Food & Drink. The food was fantastic!  Very unique menu with creative dishes.  Some of the items might sound off, but believe me, the flavors come together perfectly.
 
On Sunday we went diving for the first time this year.  The weather was questionable when we were heading out, and the waters were incredibly choppy (half the boat got seasick) but the two dives we did were fantastic.  The water was exceptionally clear and under the surface you do not experience any of the conditions above.  It was tranquil and beautiful beneath the surface.  One of our dives was at the Neptune Memorial ReefCheck out that hyperlink for some pics (note, those are the official site pics, not me).  It was even more impressive in person (obviously), but largely because the water was so clear that the visibility was a lot better than when the pics on that site were taken.  It is a pretty surreal experience, like if you've stumbled upon remnants of Atlantis.  The reef is fairly new and is only in about 35 feet of water.  I hope it manages to survive any future hurricanes that may pass over it, because it is pretty shallow considering.  I look forward to revisiting this spot in the future.
 
On the gaming front, believe it or not. I somehow even managed to do some gaming this weekend.
 
Early last week I had to travel to Tallahassee and Jacksonville for work.  I took my PSP and started playing Final Fantasy Tactics again.  I've been putting in at least ½ an hour into that game every night before going to bed for a week now.  So damn addicting.
 
While bored in my hotel room one of the nights I played through the God of War PSP demo again and it gave me the urge to play a GoW game.  Since I have been too lazy to go to Best Buy and pick up the PSP game, I decided to pop in GoW 2 again.  I spent a good chunk of this weekend playing through it again on Hard.  Man, this game is a lot of fun and like I mentioned during my earlier impressions, the sense of scale in this game is fantastic!  Some sections are jaw-droopingly amazing!  Even with the PS2's limitations.  GoW 3 should be a treat!
 
I also played a bit of GTA IV again (finally).  I think I am getting back into it.  The game has its flaws but it is still lots of fun at times.  Maybe I'll beat it sometime this year  :)
 
I came close to buying Hotshots Golf for the PS3.  Gabe has it and I would love to play with him.  The demo was a lot of fun too.  I may cave and get it soon.
 
Lastly, there is a new video/trailer for Killzone 2 on the PS Store.  Wow, the game is looking fantastic!!  Still not on par with the CG teaser vid they debuted the game with, but it is getting very close in overall atmosphere.  I really hope Guerilla pulls it off.
 

No comments: