December 10, 2008

Update

Sorry for the lack of posts the last two weeks, I haven't done too much gaming.  (Wait a minute, who the hell am I apologizing to?  Gabe?  Nobody reads this thing!)
 
I might have overdosed on games in October/November, because I haven't even had the urge to play much lately.  And believe me, it is not from lack of games.  I have barely touched CoD:World at War, I still have plenty of Little Big Planet left, I haven't tried the Time Trials in Mirror's Edge, I am only about 25% done with Far Cry 2, I've only played and finished one "movie" of Left 4 Dead, I have many, many songs left to unlock in Rock Band 2 and I haven't dedicated any time to Horde mode in GoW2.  Throw in the titles from earlier this year that I have yet to finish, and the ones I have yet to purchase (Fable II, Fallout 3, Prince of Persia) and I could be gaming 5 hours a day for 2 months and have plenty to do.  But like I said, I haven't been feeling it.
 
That's not to say I haven't done any gaming though.  I did finish Mirror's Edge (great experience overall), and I have been playing Half-Life 2 Episodes 1 & 2.
 
Why Half-Life 2 with all these current games I have on my plate?  Well, because of the NXE's ability to install games onto your HDD.  I went against my better judgment and purchased the 120gig HDD.  Yes, it is overpriced.  Severely.  But the possibility of lowering load times, reducing system noise, and best of all, extending the life of your console by giving the dvd-drive a much needed break, was too much for me to pass up.  So far, I don't regret the purchase.  The 360 is MUCH quieter running games off the HDD.  As far as load times, that is the reason I ended up playing The Orange Box again.
 
I had read that The Orange Box was one of the games that benefitted the most from installation.  Loads times were cut practically in half.  So, I tried it out, realized I never finished Episode 1 and never even started Episode 2, and next thing you know, I am playing HL2 again and greatly enjoying the game.
 
I've played very little of CoD: World at War, but it is kinda annoying me.  Technically, the game impresses (that CoD4 engine is fantastic after all), but I can't help shake the feeling that Treyarch really decided to ride the wave of success that CoD4 created.  The game borrows heavily from its predecessor.
 
The multiplayer is basically CoD4 set in WWII.  But from what I am seeing, so is the single-player.  I am currently by a level that seems to just blatantly rip off one of CoD4's best levels.  It is a stealth based level in which you must use a sniper rifle and follow the lead of your older, wiser, sniper commander.
 
Are you kidding me?  Seriously?
 
I am trying to enjoy the game and so far I have experience a few thrilling moments, but I can't shake the feeling that Treyarch mailed this one in and is just riding Infinity Ward's coat tails.
 
On Monday I played some Rock Band 2 for the first time in over a month.  I was excited.  I set-up my drums, put on my headphones and turned off the lights.  3 songs in I break my bass pedal!  What the fuck!  This is the 3rd time this happens to me!  I can't imagine that my foot is so powerful that I go through these things as if I am stepping on a saltine cracker.  I don't even play with shoes on!  I don't know what is going on.  I cant imagine this thing will be covered under warranty anymore.  Great.
 
Anyway, that is my update.  The only game I am looking forward to right now is Killzone 2.  The game is looking spectacular.  I have plenty of games to keep me busy until then, if I snap out of this funk.
 

No comments: