November 25, 2008

Belated weekend notes . . .

- Devastating loss for the Dolphins on Sunday.  This was our biggest game in maybe the last 10 years and we blew it.  It was a great game for just over 3 quarters, then we had a meltdown.  A key interception, Crowder gets ejected (he didn't really do anything), Joey Porter lost his cool . . . yeah it got pretty ugly.
 
Matt Cassel was looking like Tom Brady and Randy Moss is just a freak of nature.  Man, when that guy is "on" there is no better receiver in the game.
 
Even though I was depressed on Sunday, in hindsight, man it feels great to even feel this way at the end of November.  When was the last time the Dolphins played a game that mattered this late in the season?
 
- On Saturday morning Gabe and another buddy of mine played some Left 4 Dead co-op and we had an absolute blast.  This game might be the best co-op experience out there.  You really need to work together to be successful.  The beauty of it though is that the game doesn't feel designed as a co-op experience.  What I mean is, there are no cheesy mechanics where all four players have to hit a switch at the same time, or sections where you are forced to split up while still aiding each other to pass sections.  The play mechanics don't "force" you to work together.  You can all split up if you want.  You work together out of necessity.  If you don't work as a team, you will die and die quickly.
 
We made it through one of the "movies" and the final section waiting for the boat to come pick us up was beyond intense.  And difficult!  We must have died about 6 or 7 times trying to pass that section.  Even still, it was a lot of fun coming up with different strategies each time, improvising on the fly when things started to go wrong, and finally making it out of there alive.  I was physically and mentally exhausted as the credits started to roll. It was great.
 
- I traded in about 24 old games this weekend and picked up Call of Duty: World at War (have lots of credit left over too).  I initially was going to wait a while to get this game and I was going to grab Fable II and Fallout 3 first, but since those two are both single-player games, I decided to go with WoW now that a large number of people are playing it.
 
I've had very limited time to play games for the past few week (it has taken me what? over 2 weeks and I still haven't beaten Mirror's Edge?) but I did play the first two levels.  My initial impression was not that positive.  More of the same, very linear experience.  But the second level has a pretty intense opening and the CoD4 engine is just fantastic (even though, so far I think CoD4 looks better).  Like I said, I've barely touched this game, but so far it is fun, if predictable.
 

No comments: