November 19, 2008

NXE

I downloaded the "New Xbox Experience" this morning.  Even for such a large update, one which completely changes the 360 interface drastically, it was quicker and easier than the simplest PS3 Firmware update.  Microsoft has this thing down.
 
You are first treated by some funky, trippy video which has zero to do with the new Xbox experience.  I hope this is not saved away on my HDD somewhere taking up space.
 
You then need to create an Avatar by first choosing a preset one to edit.  While the Avatars are more detailed than Mii's, it doesn't look like you have quite as many options to edit them as Mii's.  Also, because they are more realistic and detailed, users are not going to be able to create Avatars that look like them, like you can with Mii's.  The Mii's work so well because they are just detailed enough to let your brain fill in the rest of the detail.  That won't happen with these Xbox Avatars.
 
Once all that is over with, you get to try out the new interface.  Right from the beginning I liked it.  I actually didn't think I would, since I was resistant to it when it was first shown, but in use, it works well.  As has been mentioned, menu navigation is very fast, even though the interface is much more visual now and there seems to be a lot more on-screen.
 
It is going to take a few days to get familiar with all the changes, but I already think it is for the better.  Aside from the new Dashboard, pressing the guide brings up a mini-dashboard, which more closely resembles the old one.  You now have a lot more options while using the guide.
 
One of the things I was most interested in was the Netflix integration.  Unfortunately I was not able to get this working.  I downloaded the Netflix update, I got the code from my 360 to enter on my PC, but I kept getting an error from Netflix letting me know that the code was not working and to try another code.  Since on the 360 you can press "A" to get a new code, I figured you might need to try a few for it to work.  Well, I tried about 20 damn codes and none of them went through.  I eventually gave up.  I will have to try again tonight.
 
I only had limited time tinkering with the NXE since I had to come into work, but I am looking forward to trying out its many new features (game installs, party system, Netflix).  So far, hats off to Microsoft for this great new re-invention of the 360.
 

No comments: