November 06, 2008

Michael Crichton R.I.P

I just found out that Michael Crichton passes away yesterday.  That is just terrible news.
 
I became a huge fan of Michael, along with millions of others, with his novel Jurassic Park.  I remember reading that novel my sophomore year of high school and falling in love.  I've gone on to read it five times since then.  Each time I have been captivated by it.  Being a huge dinosaur fan as a kid, Jurassic Park was a truly exhilarating read.  Those who read my post on Stan Winston know of the obsession I had with Jurassic Park (the movie), but it all began with the novel.
 
After Jurassic Park, Michael became my favorite author and I went on a marathon reading session of his novels.  Rising Sun, Sphere, Congo, Terminal Man, Andromeda Strain, The Great Train Robbery, A Case of Need, Eaters of the Dead, The Lost World, and most recently, Prey.  Being that I have always been interested in science and technology, Michael Crichton's novels were right up my alley.  He would go into so much technical detail, either on the technology or medicine behind his novels, that as a reader you conclude that everything he is writing about is completely plausible.  A dinosaur theme park?  The way Michael presented it, sure why not.  I still expect this to become a reality in the next 20 years.  :)
 
My mandatory Michael Crichton reading is: Jurassic Park, Sphere, Rising Sun, and The Andromeda Strain.  I have read all of those multiple times and I am sure I will read them all again in the future.
 
I am deeply saddened to learn of his passing.  I still have several of his novels that I have yet to read, so I still have plenty of MC in my future.  He was a brilliant person and one who will be missed.
 

No comments: