November 10, 2008

Weekend Notes

- It was closer than I would have liked, but the Dolphins prevailed and beat the Seahawks and are now 5-4 and over .500 for the first time in many years. We're only one game out of first place. But then again, one game separates all the teams in our division. You are either tied
for first, or tied for last. It is great to look forward to Sunday's again.

- I played some of the CoD: World at War beta and it was fun. Mostly because it is a carbon copy of CoD 4 with a WWII setting. Seriously, in my first match I felt right at home and even managed a 7 kill streak to call in the dogs (their version of the helicopter for Modern Warfare).

On one hand, I like it because it feels like CoD 4, which is my favorite multiplayer game, but on the other hand, it is SO much like CoD 4 it doesn't feel new or fresh. This game was not on my must buy list and the beta isn't changing my mind, but I can see myself picking it up one day. Sucks that I'll be way behind in the rankings by then and will be getting owned. That's how I felt after doing Prestige in CoD 4 the first time and losing all my weapons and upgrades (my Red Dot scope!!!) and feeling at a complete disadvantage to all the other players that had
these perks. Oh well.

- Since I pre-ordered Left 4 Dead I received early access to the demo. Wow. This game is a total blast. It is fast paced and filled with tension and dread. I managed to play through one of the sections with Gabe and it played great. I can't wait for this one. The control scheme was a bit odd at first but I adjusted fast enough.

Graphically the game gets the job done but it won't blow anyone away visually. It relies more on its smoothness and the huge amount of characters the game can render at one time (when those zombie swarms decide to rush you, wow, it can get crazy!). This should be a total blast with 3 friends.

- Lastly, I spent a good amount of time with Gears of War 2 which I picked up on Friday. Story mode only. I'll write my thoughts on a separate post.

No comments: