May 05, 2009

Arkham Asylum hands-on

I was in Gamespot on Saturday and they had a PS3 with the Batman: Arkham Asylum demo.  Hell yeah!!!  Quick impressions:
 
- The visuals are great.  The animation is what really sets it apart.  Batman's movements are very smooth.  Counter attacks especially look great!
 
- The combat was very intuitive and in just a few minutes, I was stringing together combos and counters with little trouble.  On the default difficulty, it looks like hand-to-hand combat might be a little too easy.  The counter button maybe works too well.  But at the same time, you're Batman, you're supposed to be putting down random thugs with ease.  Combat was engaging and most importantly, fun.  I like challenge as much as the next guy, but I have always believed that it shouldn't come at the expense of the "realism" of the game world/character.  I LIKE the fact that it is easy to fight off a group of nameless criminals as Batman.  While the challenge is not there, the fun still kicks into high gear because you FEEL like your character is supposed to feel: a badass.
 
- The demo was actually very limited.  You just fight wave after wave of enemies (their numbers increase each time).  This was only a combat demo and I was disappointed that I couldn't explore the other game-modes (which I am far more interested in).  So I wasn't able to swing from the rafters with my grappling hook, silently take down enemies, use my x-ray vision, or dispatch enemies with my batarang.  Oh well.
 
Even though all I got to experience was combat, I was VERY happy with what I played.  This game is still at the top of my list of upcoming releases.  Looks like it is going to be delayed slightly (end of summer now), but if that time is going to be used to continue to polish the game, then by all means, release it in the fall if you have to!  Just make it a great Batman game please!
 

No comments: