May 06, 2009

Battlestar Galactica

Yes, I know, I am late to the party.  Seems to be my motto lately.  I finally buy a DS after about 5 years of it being released.  And I just now started watching Battlestar Galactica (finally).
 
Gabe has been raving about this series to me for years.  I have always been intrigued by it, being the sci-fi fan that I am, but for some reason I never started watching it.  And it was not just Gabe, several of my friends would comment that is was not just one of the best "sci-fi" series out there, but one of the best series on tv period.
 
I watched the 3 episode "mini-series" this weekend and you know what?  Everyone was right.  From what I have seen, this show is stellar.
 
It all begins with the writing, which is superb.  The story really focuses on the characters and the human element of the show.  Yes it takes place in space and there are space battles and special effects, but the show really does focus on the drama and the effect of what is happening on the characters.
 
Then you add in some great acting.  Solid acting can really go a long way, in not only convincing the viewer to believe what is happening (even more important in a sci-fi setting) but in developing the characters.  After just 3 episodes you get a really good sense of who these characters.
 
Then there are the production values, which are just fantastic.  This is not filmed like a tv show, but like a movie.  A lot of hand-held/steady-cam shots.  The opening shot within the Galactica in fact was an extremely long single take, going from character to character, in what must have been a terribly difficult shot to coordinate.  Very impressive.
 
The special effects and details are also great.  I love all the little air-pulses the fighters use to maneuver while in space, a nice touch.
 
I know it is premature for a detailed review, like I said, I've only seen the mini-series so far, but going in with high expectations I can honestly say I was not disappointed.  I am actually even more impressed with the final product.  Can't wait to continue this series.
 

No comments: