July 25, 2006

That time of year . . .

Much like Powerpuff, I am starting to get that football itch. The NFL season is almost here (about damn time!) and my need to play some videogame football is starting to reach its peak. So much so that I even played some Madden 2006 for the 360 this weekend.

This game was just a weak, weak effort by EA. It was far from complete and far from being a next generation football title. I remember initially enjoying the game upon playing it for the first time. I guess it just felt drastically different from Madden - and that is a good thing. I want a change. But over time, the game was just damn boring. It felt shallow. Every game felt just like the last and when you're playing a franchise, that is a game killer. Every opponent felt the same, the game has ZERO atmosphere and the presentation is the worst the series has ever had. I think the original Madden did presentation better.

So, like I said, I fired it up this weekend and tried to continue my Dolphins franchise. I couldn't even complete one game, I had to turn it off in disgust. It's just bad. Player movement is horrendous. It doesn't feel right. Player interaction is pathetic. The radio announcer is awful, and there is no intensity in the game. You get the same lame-ass view of the defense and the QB walking to the line EVERY play. It gets old after the second time. I'm not even going to go into player interaction or tackling, because I have commented on that a million times before.

So, after my miserable experience this weekend trying to play Madden 2006 again, why am I excited for Madden 2007? Do I really believe these things will get fixed? Not really. In fact, I know for the fact we have the same lame radio announcer, no tv style presentation, still no gang tackling . . . yet I am excited? Am I that much of a football addict that against all reason I still hope Madden 2007 plays a decent game of football?

Yes I am. I'm a sucker. I'm a junkie. I'm buying Madden 2007, I'll enjoy it for a few days, and I'll probably be on here after a month complaining about the same exact issues. Then we'll repeat it all next year.

Ah yes, it is great to be an NFL football fan and a gamer.

No comments: