January 25, 2007

New York

This past week my girlfriend and I took a little vacation to New York. It was my first time going (her third).

Wow, what a great city.

We stayed just a few blocks from Time Square so we were walking distance from a lot of locations you would want to visit you first time to The Big Apple. And all the others were just a short subway ride away. Here are some of the places we visited/things we did:

St. Patrick's Cathedral, Rockefeller Center, Ground Zero, China Town, Little Italy, Metropolitan Museum, Museum of Natural History, Central Park, Carnegie Hall, Carnegie Deli (I think I'm still full after that giant pastrami sandwich), caught a Broadway show (Spamalot) and walked up and down Times Square.

We did a lot of walking. I'm surprised my legs aren't sore. It was pretty cold too, dropping down to 19 degrees on Saturday night. Throw in the 25mph wind gusts and we're talking a windchill in the single digits. Us Floridians are not used to that. It was actually a welcomed change, although when that wind really kicked up we started longing for Miami's trademark warmth. But only for a second.

Spamalot I should mention was absolutely great. It was hilarious and entertaining, even if you are not a Monthy Python fan (my girlfriend), and even more hilarious and entertaining if you are (with many inside jokes and references to famous Monthy Python skits.) Central Park is
quite a sight to behold, especially right smack in the middle of such a large city. The Met and Museum of Natural History were great. Ground Zero was somber and surreal. Times Square reminded me of Vegas, yet is nothing like it at the same time. The subway is intimidating at first, and quite confusing, but a great way to get around. The food was phenominal. O'Brien's Pub was a great hangout spot. Overall, the trip was just fantastic.

I'm already looking forward to my next visit.

1 comment:

Gabe said...

Ah the "Big Apple" One of a kind... I have not been back there in a long time. The rat looks familiar though.