January 03, 2007

Resolutions

Seeing as it is the new year and all, it is time for my New Year's resolutions. You know, those things I make every year and don't stick to.

1. Lose weight. This is at the top of everyone's list right? I want to try to lose about 15lbs of fat, and then hopefully gain most of that back in muscle mass. Or half. Or just a couple pounds of muscle, but definitely need to lose the fat.

2. Read more. Aside from gaming mags or reading articles on the internet, I don't read much anymore. I really want to read at least a handful of novels this year. I used to read one novel a week. But nowadays, it seems if I have a spare moment, instead of picking up one of the many novels I have on my bookshelf which I have not read, I pick up a 360 controller instead. I want to work on that.

3. Clean my car. I haven't cleaned my car in about four years. It is absolutely filthy. I'm sure I will find many things I thought I lost when I finally do.

4. Play less games. Wow, this seems contradictory to this very blog, but yes, I want to "try" and cut back on gaming. It is going to be insanely tough this year (Bioshock, Mass Effect, Brothers in Arms, Assassin's Creed, Forza II, Halo 3, future Wii purchase, etc.) but it is something I want to strive for.

Working a 9 to 5 job and battling Miami traffic means I have very little free time during the week. I leave my house at 8am and don't usually get home until 6:30pm. That only gives me 4 ½ hours a day (if I want to be in bed by 11pm) to do anything. When you factor in some of my resolutions (going to the gym, reading, etc.) and regular everyday items such as cooking dinner, taking a shower, cleaning up the house, doing the occassional laundry, and spending quality time with my girlfriend, that is not a whole lot of time to divide up. So getting home and playing videogames for two hours is not something I want to continue doing (not that I do that now mind you . . . only sometimes).

Let's see what happens. Now if you'll excuse, I need to tend to my garden to keep my pinatas happy . . .

2 comments:

Gabe said...

Ah yes time, where does it go? Ah that reminds me why I have not completed the many games of have purchased over the past few years.. No time.... As for me, I am kind of the opposite, I want to finish the games I have collected.
But within reason and and with trying to have the proper balance with my time. There is a time for gaming, a time for family, time for career, and we need time for ourselves. Best of Luck Tanis on your Journey for balance. Hmmm it sounds like an RPG quest, ah nevermind.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! I'm in shock!! I have to say I am taken back by # 4!! Lord help him! I'm glad you see you have a problem!
I'll help you with that one baby!! ;)
Great blog, like always!