March 10, 2008

The Show # 2

I'm by my first year in Road to the Show.  After spring training I was signed by the Marlins and placed as a middle-reliever in their AA club.  Sure, I wanted to be placed in the starting rotation immediately, but I decided not to rock the boat.  It is cool enough that I have an option to complain to my manager that I should be starting, but I decided not to use it yet.  Let me prove myself as a MRP first (who knows, I might stink the place up and then I would look silly demanding to start).  Another cool aspect is that I could see who my "competition" is for that starting job; it shows me their stats after every game I pitch in.  They are both starters, but if my numbers are better than theirs after a month, I'm not hesitating to "complain to my manager". 
 
Sure enough, after a month as a MRP, my numbers are looking fantastic.  I am 1-0 with an ERA under 2.  One of the starters is 0-3 with an ERA north of 5.  Just before I decide to complain, I get an e-mail from my manager saying I have been doing such a good job they are giving me a shot to start.  Woohoo!!!  And I did not even need to play the whiny prima donna athlete card!
 
I start my first game and give up 5 runs in 5 innings and get the loss.  Ouch.
 
I do better my next start, going six innings and only giving up 1 run on 5 hits.  I get a no decision.
 
My next start is epic.  I am tossing a 2 hit shutout going into the 7th inning and I have a ton of strike-outs.  I have thrown a bunch of pitches though and my energy is plummeting asap!  I manage to get through the 7th and 8th innings with the shut-out intact, but over those two innings I walked about 3 guys and gave up a bunch of hits.  I have nothing left in the tank.  My manager brings me out to pitch the 9th and I know I won't be able to do it.  I give up a single to start the inning and my manager yanks me.  I'm glad he did.  Luckily, the closer shut the door and the shutout was preserved.  After the game I notice I have the option to talk to my manager about pulling me from the game.  I think it is great that they have that feature.  I was glad I was pulled, but in case I wanted to go for the complete game I am glad to know I can complain if I want.
 
My next three starts are pretty mediocre.  I give up a total of 10 runs between them.  I was taking a shutout into the 6th inning in one of those and then I got rocked for 5 runs.  :\
 
Right now I am 3-3 with an ERA of about 3.50.  I've only had 2 quality starts as a starter.  I'm pretty solid early in games but once I get rattled, the hits and walks don't stop coming.  I have to work on that.
 
I'll keep posting impressions as my career advances.  Having a great time so far (when I don't give up 5 runs in one inning!)
 

No comments: