March 05, 2008

The Show Impressions

I managed to play one exhibition game and I played through Spring Training in RTTS as my newly created starting pitcher. Some impressions.

Exhibition game:

Marlins vs. Rays (I am the Marlins of course. Yes, I know this is as unexciting an exhibition game as you can get)

- Dolphins Stadium looks nice, although I am waiting for a game to get the seating right. When the Marlins play in real life, the upper-deck section of the outfield is not open and covered with a blue tarp. They have the blue tarp on the lower level seats in centerfield in the game, so they just need to replicate that in the upper-deck. We can't get 15,000 fans to show up for important games, why would we have 70,000 seats open? Sorry, I had to get that off my chest because no game has gotten it right yet.

- The t.v. style broadcast is fantastic. While most gamers will be skipping over it, it is great how before the game starts they highlight a player to keep an eye on, go over the batting order, and comment on the starting pitchers. Really gives an authentic feel to the game.

- I mentioned it when talking about the demo, but this game looks so much better than last year's effort.

- I somehow managed to score 7 runs in the second inning. I haven't scored more than 3 runs in the demo (in the countless times I played it) and here I am using the Marlins (and playing on All-Star even, I played the demo on Veteran) and I rack up a huge inning. It felt great!!! I go on to score 11 runs in the game, which was good because I was worried I'd be shut-out every game considering how I was batting in the demo.

- I might be turning off the Home Run Cam. The few times I have seen it, it just focuses on the batter as soon as you hit the ball and I can't really see where the ball goes. I like seeing the flight of the ball. I wish the angle would show your player and the ball at the same time.

- The atmosphere is fantastic. I am tired of pointing out that the commentary is the best in the business (it is the best in the business). Also, If you hit a key HR you get a highlight of it when your player goes up to bat later on in the game. So cool.

- The pitcher batter analysis is crazy detailed. So much so it can be intimidating at first.

Road to the Show Impressions:

- The Create-a-player options are insanely deep. You can customize every aspect of your player's face.

- The interface for RTTS this year is a lot nicer. Plenty of stats and info for you to look at.

- The goals system is much improved as well. Great job.

- They have this fantastic screen that you can access that will show you every game you've pitched, which innings you pitched in, and it will break down your strikes/balls, hits, BB, runs, etc. per inning. It is very easy to read and my favorite addition so far. I love looking back on my previous games and seeing how I did stat-wise. Great job guys!!

- I forgot how unexciting it can be to play in the minor leagues. Generic, ugly ballparks and fake players is not as exciting as beautifully rendered major league parks and real guys. I can't wait to
get called up (Hope I do, I am playing on All-Star this year, so it should be tougher).

Well, that's all for now. I plan on playing RTTS mode until the real season begins and then start a franchise with the opening day rosters. I really enjoy playing full games, it is a very different experience from RTTS.

No comments: