June 26, 2006

360 Update

Ok, my previous post about Snake Eater should have really been published about two weeks ago, because that is when I was actually playing the game and still waiting for my 360 to come back from Microsoft. But I'm lazy, I begin to write the entry, then save it, write some more, then save it, next thing you know I beat the game weeks ago and have yet to post the entry about how I am passing the time without a 360, in the meantime my 360 has already arrived and I still have to post the old post.

Anyway, I got my 360 back on Monday, 6/19/06. Yeehaw!! I connected it, downloaded the Dashboard Update (it is great) and played a bit of Table Tennis, Oblivion and Halo 2. Ah, how I had missed my 360.

The next morning I turn it on so that I can try out Doom III. I was curious how it looked running at 720p (it was in the latest BC list). Upon turning the system on I am greeted with the red light of death, yet again, and an error message.

WHAT THE FUCK!!!!

Upon restarting the system a few times, same deal. I remove the HDD and turn the system on and it boots to the Dashboard. After some more testing and tweaking, it seems to be working again, but I don't want my new 360 (they sent me a new one, not a refurbished one) to be freezing. Reading up on the Xbox message boards I came to the conclusion that it is a problem with the power supply. I'm now switching over the 360 to another outlet where I will be connecting it directly into the wall outlet, instead of in a powerstrip being shared by my tv, receiver, dvd player, PS2, and Directv box. We'll see how that goes.

If there is an issue with some 360s freezing and locking up because of faulty power bricks (these things weigh 45lbs, you’d think they would work) or the 360s just not getting enough power, they should say something. It is not fun when you always have in the back of your mind that your 360 might freeze on you any minute.

No comments: