June 16, 2008

The Happening

I consider myself a fan of M. Night Shyamalan.  The Sixth Sense was fantastic.  Signs was great.  I only saw Unbreakable once in theaters and don't remember too much of it so I have to see it again, but many say it is his best film.  The Village was alright, although I ruined it by falling asleep in the theater, missing the entire middle of the movie, waking up and having the "monster" portion spoiled for me, then I figured out the twist at the end before it happened even though I missed half the flick.  But still, it was alright.  Lady in the Water however . . . meh.
 
I had high hopes for The Happening.  But unfortunately . . . meh.
 
The movie had a B-movie feel, only it was taking itself seriously, so that did not work in its favor (unlike Grindhouse).  The dialogue was the bad, the performances were weak, and I was not sold on the reason for the "event".  I went in with low expectations and still managed to come away disappointed.
 
I should have seen The Incredible Hulk instead.
 
I hope M. Night finds his way.  The Happening has been getting absolutely destroyed by critics and the guy is getting hammered on internet message boards.  I think he has a lot of talent and a great eye as a director.  I find his writing to be his weakest link.  He does have some cool ideas though, so maybe he should team-up with a really talented writer to iron them out before committing them to celluloid.
 

No comments: