June 19, 2008

Stan Winston

Stan Winston passed away this past Sunday. For those that do not know who he is, Stan was a make-up/special effects man in Hollywood. Well, I should say, he was the make-up/special effects man in Hollywood. Stan's resume is quite impressive. Some highlights include:

The Thing
The Terminator (1,2 & 3)
Aliens
Predator
Pumpkinhead
Batman Returns
Edward Scissor Hands
Jurassic Park (1,2 & 3)
Interview with the Vampire
A.I.
Iron Man

That is just a small highlight of his amazing career. Stan won 4 Oscars for Visual and Make-up effects and was nominated 10 times.

I first took notice of Stan's work prior to the release of Jurassic Park. I was 16 years old and eagerly aniticpating its release. I had read the novel, absolutely loved it, and followed the movie's devlopment feverishly. I had multiple magazines and promotional books highlighting the making of the movie and I was amazed at what I saw inside of Stan's shop. Once the movie came out, my life was forever changed. Never have I had such an amazing experience in a movie theater. To say I was excited when the credits rolled is an understatement. That movie marked the birth of my intense interest in movie special effects, even contemplating it as a career at one point.

Stan, thank you. Thank you for making Dinosaurs come to life, giving me glimpses of life-forms from other worlds, showing me futuristic robots, both hostile and friendly, taking my comic book heroes from the page to reality, and introducing me to creatures far more terrifying than my imagination could have conjured by itself. Thank you for enhancing my experience in this medium of film that I love so much.

Thank you for the unforgetable memories. You will be missed.

Joblo.com Stan Tribute Video

No comments: