June 18, 2008

One more thing . . .

I just finished Act 2 in MGS 4.  I have mixed feelings on its finale.  Very mild spoilers ahead.
 
On one hand, the Act ends on a very exciting, pulse pounding note.  An intense escape, great action sequences,  crazy awesome battle (although only in cinematic form).  But there were numerous load-screens breaking up every few minutes of gameplay, and that REALLY killed a lot of the excitement.  With all the installing the game needs to do, having full blown load screens occurring in the middle of an intense chase really destroyed the flow of the action and took me completely out of the moment.  That could have been a truly memorable section, yet what I remember the most was my disappointment every time the game had to load the next section.  Not good.
 
Will keep posting impressions as I go.  The beginning of Act 3 is pretty interesting so far.  Very different from previous MGS titles.
 

No comments: