February 07, 2009

RTS on Consoles Halo Wars

Halo Wars demo is finally here. I have to say I was skeptical about any RTS endeavor being successful on any console. Ensemble studios have proven it can be done!!! Ensemble known for their very popular Age of Empires RTS has created a great RTS experience set in the Halo universe. Starting up the demo the first thing you notice is the very Haloesqe graphics opening screen. The high quality production value really shines in this demo. The biggest hurdle for any RTS on a console is the control scheme, with no keyboard and mouse this has been a challenge. Ensemble has made very intuitive control. A tutorial is provided but I find most people will gain a quick grasp of the controls even without ever using the tutorial. The speed at which you can move your units, create them, issues orders is done in a very streamlined way to never be a hinderance to game play. The graphics look amazing, and every sound effect from the Halo universe has been transfered to this game, you can close your eyes and hear the distinct sound of the warthog and the convenent troop screams and taunts. The cut scenes are a sight to behold, I actually wish they would make a CG animation series of halo after watching the cut scenes. The key to any demo is to make people purchase their game. Well I am sold. I hope this game is successful to ensure the future of this new RTS franchise and future RTS's on consoles.

1 comment:

Tanis said...

He's aliiiiiive!!!! Welcome back Gabe.

Looks like I will have to wait a few weeks to check out the Halo Wars demo, since I just sent my dead 360 back to Microsoft on Thursday.