November 29, 2006

Pet Peeves Vol. I

The other day I was thinking about all of my pet peeves. Those little things that just aggravate me. I have lots of them. I figured I'd share them here, even though they might not be game related. I'll talk about them in instalments, I guess usually after an incident arises that brings one of these to my attention.

So, here is my first Pet Peeve. It is not necessarily the one I feel strongest about, but it is the one I have in mind at the moment.

Bathroom Attendants.

Have you seen these guys (or gals)? Some random stranger inside of the restroom standing by the sink. They turn on the faucet for you, squirt soup on your hands and fetch you some paper towels while you rinse. Then they stand waiting for you to give them a tip for all that "quality" service they just did.

What the hell? Why are these people in here? I can do all this by myself. I like doing all this by myself. I don't like having some person waiting on me hand and foot, especially in the restroom. I don't want to feel pressure to bust out with a dollar bill everytime I have to use the bathroom either.

And lets not forget the "goods and services" they have for your convinience. Cologne, perfume, gum, deodorant, cigarettes, and other assorted items. Why are these things in the bathroom? I do not even know if they are for sale if you can just help yourself, because really, I have never felt the need to even ask, I find it so bizarre.

No disrespect to anyone trying to make a living as a bathroom attendant, as making a living is hard enough, but I wish the position was done away with all-together and you were transferred to bus boy, or hallway attendant, or cashier. Seriously, I like to be left alone when I go to the bathroom. If the reason for them being there is really just to keep an eye on things then I would prefer some bouncer looking fella' to stand by the door - making sure no one is using drugs or defecating on the floor - as long as he minds his own business and leaves me alone.

No comments: