January 13, 2006

DSL . . . or lack thereof (cont.)

Ok, so the Bellsouth tech comes at around 8pm, and says he needs to access the main phone room for the apartment building. The what now? First of all, I have no idea where that is. Second, chances are that room is locked and I have no idea who I need to contact to get it open. Third, I’m in the middle of cooking dinner sir, couldn’t you have come earlier?

So I take the guy for a stroll around my apartment building, pointing out rooms I feel “might” be the telephone room. Of course, they are all locked. He asks if I can call somebody to open them and of course, I have no idea who to call. He tells me that I need to reschedule - YET AGAIN - because there is nothing he could do.

Look, it was late, I know this guy just wanted to get the hell out of here and not do any work. I was talking to a buddy of mine afterward (who works for Bellsouth no less) and he told me that the guy really needed to check the DSL box that is down the block to make sure it was connected and that he couldn’t imagine why he needed to go inside the phone room, because there is nothing wrong with my phone.

Why must I suffer so? Why can’t I pay for DSL and have it working on the first day like normal people? Why must I go through weeks or torture for something as simple as an internet connection at my house?

So, they are coming back this Saturday and I already have the number of the maintenance guy I need to call to open that phone room. If I don’t have DSL by Saturday night, I’m going to freak . . .

To make matters worse, I got the new OXM and it comes with a free Beta version of Final Fantasy XI. Great. I could be playing this baby on-line right now, but nooooo . . . . .

No comments: