January 13, 2006

HD gaming is sweet!

Wow, it only took two weeks of 360 gaming to make any game not running in 720p or higher look like absolute crap.

I received the new OXM yesterday and on the disc is a playable demo of Half-Life 2. I hadn’t played my regular X-Box since getting the 360 and I popped in the disc to try it out.

Holy crap!

I could tell just by the logos and menus that I was no longer playing in HD. Wow, 480p now looks blurry, crappy and extremely unimpressive. My eyes can never go back!

It’s kinda like watching a really bad VHS tape after years of watching DVDs. You never realized at the time, but man, that stuff looks just plain bad.

Now I’m worried. I’m pretty much done with “last-gen” games now that I have a 360 (damn, I sound so superficial saying that), however, I would still want to check out Black and of course, Zelda. Does this mean that the entire time I am playing Zelda I’m going to complaining by how blurry and low-res everything looks? Have I now cursed myself and now see any game running lower than 720p as completely unimpressive an archaic?

D’oh!!!

Edit: Now that I FINALLY got DSL, I was able to get the latest update for the Halo 2 emulator and you know what? It doesn't look half bad. Very smooth and completely jaggy free!!! Sweet!

No comments: